- 2003 D Ed University of Durban Westville (UDW), SA Education
- 1999 MEd UDW, SA Education
- 1996 BEd (Hons) UDW, SA Science Education
- 1994 HED University of SA Science Education
- 1989 B Sc UDW, SA Science
- 2021 Professor Gender Education
- 2017 Associate Professor: Gender Education
- 2013 Academic Discipline Co-ordinator (Gender Education)
- 2010 Senior lecturer: Gender Education
- 2007 Academic Discipline Co-ordinator: Science Education
- 2006 Academic Programme Co-ordinator (Masters in Education)
- 2006: Senior Lecturer,
- 2005: Academic Programme Co-ordinator (Masters in Education)
- Gender Education; Gender, Teenage pregnancy; sexuality and HIV, Gender violence
- Gender Education; Gender, Teenage pregnancy; sexuality and HIV, Gender violence
PhD, Masters, Hons projects in the fields of Gender Education; Gender, Teenage pregnancy; Sexuality and HIV, Gender violence
- (2022) Singh, S. South African male university students’ perspectives on gender norms concerning alcohol and related harmful behaviours towards female drinkers, Culture, Health & Sexuality, DOI: 10.1080/13691058.2022.2070671
- 2021). Ngubane, S. & Singh, S. Male University Peer Educators on Violence: Challenging and Complying with Hegemonic Masculine Norms Bhana, D., Singh, S & Msibi, T (Eds). Gender, Sexuality and Violence in South African Educational Spaces. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan
- (2021). Kabaya, S. & Singh, S. Preservice Teachers’ Experiences of Sexual Harassment at a University Campus. Bhana, D., Singh, S & Msibi, T (Eds.). Gender, Sexuality and Violence in South African Educational Spaces. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan (2021). Naicker, P. & Singh, S. Slut-shaming amongst teenage girls. Bhana, D., Singh, S & Msibi, T (forthcoming). Gender, Sexuality and Violence in South African Educational Spaces. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan
- (2021). Mudaly, R.; Mabaso, B. Singh-Pillay, A and Singh, S. “Why you touching me? This is scary.” Alcohol, Fear and Miniskirts as Risk Factors in Female Students’ Understandings of Violence on Campus Bhana, D., Singh, S & Msibi, T.(Eds.) Gender, Sexuality and Violence in South African Educational Spaces. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan
- (2021). Singh, S. & Kabaya, S. Being poor, female and first year at a South African university. The Routledge International Handbook of Poverty in the Global South (forthcoming).
- (2019). Singh S & Naicker, P. Development of Resilience in Teenage Mothers within Contextual Realities of Poor Rural South Africa. Journal of Poverty. https://doi.org/10.1080/10875549.2019.1616038
- (2018) Social networking as a strategic tool in the management of school-based violence, with Chidi Eke, South African Journal of Education, 38(1): Art. # 1320, 8 pages. https://doi.org/10.15700/saje.v38n1a1320
- (2017). Redeﬁning love: Female university students developing resilience to intimate partner violence. With T. Myende. Agenda 31 (2): 22-33.
- (2017). Policy for Prevention of Sexual Assault on Campus: Higher education Students’ Perspectives. With B. Mabaso, R. Mudaly and A. Singh-Pillay. Alternation. 23(1): 113-134.
- (2016). Easier said than done: African male university students’ projections of masculine performances within (future) marriage. South African Review of Sociology, 47(4) DOI: 10.1080/21528586.2016.1163287.
- (2016). Reflections of a group of South African teenage mothers: Sexual health implications (2015) with A. Hamid. Health Education Journal (Impact factor 0.694) 75 (3): 278-288, first published online on March 17, 2015. DOI: 10.1177/0017896915574891
- (2015). Connecting with pre-service teachers’ perspectives on the use of digital technologies and social media to teach socially relevant science with R. Mudaly, K. Pithouse-Morgan, L. van Laren and C. Mitchell. Perspectives in Education, 33(4): 23-41.
- (2015). The What, Who and Where of female students’ fear of sexual assault on a South African university campus, with A. Singh-Pillay and R. Mudaly. Agenda, 29(3): 97-105.
- (2015). Digital Animation for “Going Public” with K. Pithouse-Morgan, L. van Laren, C. Mitchell and R. Mudaly. South African Journal for Higher Education, 29(2) 237-259.
- (2014). Health and liberation crossroads: Cigarette smoking among female students at a South African university. Alternation, 21(1): 190-202.
- (2013). Starting with ourselves in deepening our understandings of generativity in participatory educational research, with L. van Laren, R. Mudaly and K. Pithouse-Morgan. South African Journal of Education. 33(4): 1-16.
- (2013). Women want love, men want wives: The discourse of romantic love in young adults’ future marriage goals. Agenda, 27(2): 22-29.
- (2012). Exploring University Educators’ Lived Experiences of Curriculum Innovating through Integrating HIV & AIDS, with L. van Laren, C. Mitchell, R. Mudaly and K. Pithouse-Morgan. Alternation, 19(2):138-161.
- (2011). Young women’s understandings of (future) marriage: links to sexual risk and HIV prevention. Agenda, 87: 38-42.
- (2011). Choosing to be unsafe: young adults’ sexual decision-making within the context of HIV and AIDS. Journal of Educational Studies, 10(1): 207-222.
- (2010). Shifting public/private boundaries: Young women’s sexuality within the context of HIV and AIDS in South Africa. Agenda, 83: 88-94.
- (2008). (Teen) Age is more than a number: Generational identity within the context of HIV and AIDS. Journal of Psychology in Africa, 18(3): 217-222.
- (2007). Risking It: Young Heterosexual Femininities in South African Context of HIV/AIDS, with M. Dunne. Sexualities,10(2): 157-170.
- (2005). “It’s not as easy as ABC”: Intergenerational power and resistance within the context of HIV/AIDS. Perspectives in Education, 23(3):11-19.
- (2004). Safe sex or safe love? Competing discourses within the context of HIV/AIDS. Alternation: International Journal for the study of Southern African Literature and Languages, 11(2): 440-453.
- (2004). Deconstructing “adolescence” within the context of HIV/AIDS. Bulletin for Academic Staff and Students. School of Educational Studies, UKZN, 1 (1): 37-47.
- (2003). Understanding the context: HIV/AIDS education in South Africa. MANCOSA Journal of Management and Administration, 2(2): 1-9.
- Participatory research- working with students and schools towards addressing gender violence and creating safer learning environments
Postgraduate Student Supervision
- 2019, Nontobeko Immaculate Ntshangase An exploration of schooling mothers’ constructions of sexuality in the context of HIV and AIDS. Supervisor
- 2019, Sithulile Bukhosini Being a student and a mother: exploring the experiences of motherhood among university students. Supervisor
- 2017, Thembeka Makhosazana MyendeFemale students’ understandings about intimate partner violence at UKZN residences. Supervisor
- 2017, Heizo Mathujwa Male students’ understandings about sexual violence at the University of KwaZulu-Natal residences. Supervisor
- 2016, Sibonile Kabaya Understanding sexual harassment amongst students at a selected UKZN residence. Supervisor
- 2015, Karen Christison Exploring sexuality and risk amongst Coloured high school girls in an era of HIV and AIDS Supervisor
- 2015, Nicole Shaney Understanding risky sexual behaviour amongst teenage girls in a single-sex school in the Durban area in the context of HIV & AIDS. Supervisor
- 2015, Preenisha Naicker Sexual risk amongst teenage mothers in a selected KwaZulu-Natal secondary school within a context of HIV/AIDS. Supervisor
- 2015, Veronika Slabbert Understanding the career choices of grade 12 female learners studying technical subjects
- 2015, Wiseman G. Ngcobo Exploring the schooling experiences of initiated Xhosa young men in a secondary school in Umzimkhulu. Supervisor
- 2013, Samuel Eric John An exploration of educators’ and learners’ perceptions of learner discipline at an all-boys’ primary school in the southern region of Durban. Supervisor
- 2014, Mala Devi Maharaj Understanding the risky behaviour of female secondary school learners in the context of HIV and AIDS in South Africa. Supervisor
- 2013, Alvi Hamid Understanding sexual risk amongst teenage mothers within the context of the HIV and AIDS pandemic. Supervisor
- 2013, Amurtham Mooninthan Exploring sexual risks taken by young Indian women aged 16-17 amidst the HIV and AIDS pandemic. Supervisor