|Discipline||Social Justice & Education|
|Phone||033 260 6148|
|Office Address||Room 35, Education|
- PhD (Education & Development)
- 1999 – Current:
- Teaching experience: Teacher Education; Social Justice Education (experience includes the development of qualifications, programmes and materials on the following programmes – Advanced Certificate in Education (ACE): Values & Human Rights in Education; Post Graduate Certificate in Education; Bachelor of Education (Honours): Social Justice Education; Master in Education: Social Justice Education
- Project Management – ACE: Values and Human Rights in the Curriculum (Project of the National Department of Education)
- Founding Member: The International Network on Gender, Social Justice and Praxis:
Invited International Academics and organized the following:
- 2010: The School of Education & Development (SED) in conjunction with UKZN’s Research Office hosted feminist philosopher, Professor Sandra Harding from the 3 to the 5 March 2010. Prof Harding a Professor in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, and former Director of the Centre for Studies of Women at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) presented a series of lectures and seminars in the Faculty of Education, the School of Development Studies, and the Centre for Higher Education Studies and the Women in Research Academy. While Prof Harding was officially hosted by UKZN, she also presented seminars at the The Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC), The University of Pretoria and The University of Western Cape.
- 2012: The School of Education and The University Teaching and Learning Office hosted a National Colloquium on Higher Education titled; “…playing the game’ of academic capitalism…”: Neoliberal Commonsense & The Challenge to South African Universities. The keynote speaker, Professor Carlos Alberto Torres, a political sociologist of education is Professor of Social Sciences and Comparative Education in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies, University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and Director of the Paulo Freire Institute (UCLA).
- 2016: Organized an International Symposium on Gender and Higher Education titled, ‘The Right to Higher Education: Gender and the Politics of Mis/recognition’. The keynote speaker Professor Penny Jane Burke, is Global Innovation Chair of Equity and Director of the Centre of Excellence for Equity in Higher Education at the University of Newcastle, Australia. This symposium also marked the first international meeting of The International Network on Gender, Social Justice and Praxis (based in The Centre of Excellence for Equity in Higher Education at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
- Feminist Research, Higher Education Reform and Globalization, Teacher Education, Social Justice Education, Feminist and Freirian Pedagogy
- Social Justice Education; Gender, Sexism & Education; Race, Racism & Education, Human Rights Education, Critical Social Theory, Feminist Theory
Complete Research Record:
- Muthukrishna, A.; Sader, S & Farman, R. (2000) The Inclusion of Children with Down Syndrome: The South African Experience. International Journal of Special Education. 2000, Vol. 15, pp.86-95
- Muthukrishna, N & Sader, S. (2004) Social capital and the development of inclusive schools and communities. Perspectives in Education, Vol22(1), pp17-26
- Sader, S.; Odendaal, M. and Searle, R (2005) The Impact of Globalization on Higher Education Restructuring: The Effects on Women in Leadership and Gender Equity. Agenda, Issue 65, pp58 – 74
- Sader, S.B. and Gabela, N.P. (2017) Spatialities of widening participation: Narratives of first year students receiving financial aid. South African Journal of Higher Education, Vol 31(1), pp 227-242