- Primary School Teacher (February 2008 – June 2008)
- High School Teacher (August 2008 – September 2009)
- Lecturer (2010 – Present)
- Golden Key International Honour Society
- UKZN Masters Scholarship
- UKZN PhD Scholarship
- Decoloniality, integration, African identity, historical consciousness, multiculturalism, globalisation, textbook research, interdisciplinarity, and Information and Communication Technology in History
- Historical literacy, Prejudices in History, African and South African history, Globalisation, Modernity, Using film and ICT to teach History.
- Master of Education
- B.Ed Honours
- Iyer, L.M. (2018). South African Social Sciences teachers’ views on the integration of History and Geography in the General Education and Training phase. The Journal for Transdisciplinary Research in Southern Africa 14(2), 1-7.
- Iyer, L. (2017). Social Sciences in the South African curriculum. In J. Wassermann (Ed.), Teaching Social Sciences: Intermediate and Senior Phases (1-18). Cape Town: Oxford University Press Southern Africa.
- Iyer, L. (2016). Every step of the way: The journey to freedom in South Africa. Yesterday and Today, (16), 124-126.
- Iyer, L.M. (2011). An investigation into social sciences in the general education and training band: Teachers’ views and pedagogy as in relation to integration. Durban: University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- Iyer, L.M. (2011). Our world, our society – Social Sciences grade 8. Yesterday & Today 7, pp.190-193.
- Iyer, L.M. (2008). Using iPods to teach History. Yesterday & Today 3, pp.64-105.