- DPhil (UP)
- MEd (Rhodes)
- MA (Free State)
- BA Hons (Potchefstroom)
- HDE (Potchefstroom)
- FDE – Zulu (NCE)
- Lecturer: Durban College of Education (1993-2000)
- Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor: University of KwaZulu-Natal (2002-present)
- UKZN top 30 researcher 2012
- History Education: Youth and History; History Textbooks; Teaching controversial issues
- History of Education: Institutional biographies of higher educational institutions
- History: Minorities and the minoritised in colonial Natal
- Problems in historical understanding; Using ICT to teach History; Method and theory of History; History Education and war; Research methodology
- Currently supervising 10 Doctorate and 7 Masters of History Education students
- Editor Historia (2010-present
- Editorial Board Yesterday & Today (2008-present)
- Editorial Board Journal for the International Research Association for Scoail Science and History Education (2014-
- Wassermann JM, The erection and maintenance of monuments to Boer prisoners of war in India 1902-1948, Journal of Cultural History. 25 (2), December 2011.
- Wassermann JM, The Anglo-Boer War in the borderlands of the Transvaal and Zululand (1899–1902), Scientia Militaria. 39 (2), 2011.
- Wassermann JM, Learning About Controversial Issues in School History: The Experiences of Learners in KwaZulu-Natal Schools, Journal of Natal and Zulu History. 29, 2011.
- Wassermann JM, “The suspects are not to be treated as prisoners or convicts” – a labour camp for Africans associated with the Boer Commandoes during the Anglo-Boer War, Journal for Contemporary History. 36 (2), September 2011.
- Wassermann JM, The colony of Natal and the management of its Afrikaner subjects in the build-up to the Anglo-Boer War (1899–1902), New Contree. 61, May 2011.
- Wassermann JM, The treason trials of the Natal rebels during the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902), Journal of Cultural History. 25 (2), December 2011.
- Wassermann JM and Chiponda AF, “Women in History Textbooks” – What message does this send to the youth?, Yesterday & Today, December 2012.
- Wassermann JM, “It would be well now to wind up this rebel business sharp”: The post-Anglo-Boer War management of the Natal rebels. New Contree. 63, May 2012.
- Wassermann JM, Fru, RN and Maposa MT, The contested nature of heritage in Grade 10 South African history textbooks: a case study. Yesterday & Today, December 2013.
- Wassermann JM, Managing the University College for Indians on Salisbury Island – 1960-1964. Journal of Natal and Zulu History. 31.1, 2013