- PhD (Science Education) UKZN
- PG Dip HE, UKZN
- Masters (Science Education) UKZN
- BSc, UNISA
- JSED, Springfield
- Currently Associate Professor of Technology Education at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
- Academic Leader: Bachelor of Education programme (2019 to date).
- Acting Academic leader Teaching and Learning (Semester 1 of 2023).
- School Management Committee: 2019 to date.
- Discipline leader -Technology Education 2014 &2018.
- Coordinators Technology Hons programme.
- Coordinator School of Education PhD cohort: 2018.
- Coordinator Technology Master’s programme:2018.
- Africa representative to International Organisation for Science, Technology Education board (IOSTE) – 2020-2022.
- Member of IOSTE board 2023.
- Editorial board International Society for Academic in Research (ISFAR).
- International Project Sustain: Researcher assistant and administrator– 2008-2010.
- External moderator for B. ED modules at the University of Free State, Durban University of Technology, UNISA,
- External moderator for postgraduate modules at the University of Johannesburg, UNISA, University of Wits.
- Examiner of national and international masters and PhD thesis.
- Review of journal articles for:
- The African Journal of Research in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education (AJRMSTE).
- Eurasian Journal of Research in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education (EJMSTE)
- Alternation (UKZN)
- Perspectives in Education (PIE).
- South African Journal of Education (SAJE).
- South African Journal of Environmental Education (SAJEE).
- Eurasia Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education (EJMSTE).
Professional Bodies Membership
- Member of SACE,
- Epsilon Pi Tau and international Honor Society for professions in Technology (US based)
- Top 10 most published female researchers: CHUM 2018
- Top 30 most published researchers: CHUM 2018
- Teaching Excellence Award: 2018, 2019
- UCDP travel grant
- Early career academic award -2017
- Competitive Research Grant (UTLO): 2014
- Teaching and learning in technology education.
- Practical work, process skills, design process.
- Integration of NS-TECH.
- Education for sustainable development.
- issues of social justice and STEM.
- STEM education and teacher training and development.
- Teaching and learning engineering graphics and design,
- Social justice issues in STEM education,
- Indigenous knowledge systems,
- Practical work and process skills,
- Education for sustainable development
- Curriculum and policy issues in STEM
- Use of technologies in teaching STEM
- International keynote speaker: International Webinar: The Global impact of COVID 19 on teacher education: Transforming challenges into opportunities: Faculty of Education Raja Balwant Singh College, Agra (U.P.), India, June 2020.
- International keynote speaker: College of teacher education, Kotdwar, India, March 2020.
- International Keynote speaker, ISFAR conference, July 2023 Zanzibar.
- Chandigarh University, India, 2019
- Mauritius Institute of Education, Mauritius, 2022
Chapters in Books
Chapters in Books
- Naidoo, J &Singh-Pillay, A.(2022) Digital Pedagogy for Mathematics and Technology Education: Exploring the Initiatives at One South African Teacher Education Institution. In Olivier,J., Oojorah, A & Udhin, W (eds). Perspectives on Teacher Education in the Digital Age. Springer Nature
- Singh-Pillay, A. (2021). Pre-service technology teachers’ learning experiences of teaching methods for integrating the use of technologies for the fourth industrial revolution. In Naidoo, J. (ed). Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century: Embracing the Fourth Industrial Revolution. (pp. 106-118). Brill, USA.
- Singh-Pillay, A. & Naidoo, J. (2021). Pre-service teacher educators’ experiences of using mobile technologies in teaching and learning mathematics and technology education for the fourth industrial revolution. In Naidoo, J (ed). Teaching and Learning in the 21st Century: Embracing the Fourth Industrial Revolution (pp 119-136). Brill, USA
- Mudaly, R, Mabaso, B, Singh, S & Singh-Pillay, A. (2021) Why you touching me? This is scary.” Alcohol,Fear and Miniskirts as Risk Factors in Female Students’ Understandings of Violence on Campus. In Bhana, D., Singh, S & Msibi, T (eds). Gender, Sexuality and Violence in South African Educational Spaces. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan
- Khumalo, S; Singh-Pillay, A.& Subrayen, R. Reflections on Differently Abled Students’ Challenges with Online Learning amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic and Lockdown. In Smit, J.A., N. Mkhize, N. Ndimande-Hlongwa & L. Ramrathan (eds.), Alternation African Scholarship Book Series, Volume # 04 – ISBN: 978-0-9869936-5-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.29086/978-0-9869936-5-7/2020/AASBS04 ( 188 – 208). Durban: CSSALL Publishers
- Chirikure, T., James, A., Nzimande, N., Singh-Pillay, A. & Naicker, I. A microscope, a stone, a cap and a lampshade: Objects as conduits for recognizing teaching practices as teacher leadership in higher education. In D. Pillay, K. Pithouse-Morgan & I. Naicker (Eds.), Object Medleys: Interpretive possibilities for educational research (pp. 147-162). Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Advisory board of the International Organisation of Science and Technology Education (IOSTE)
- Advisory board member of The International Society for Academic Researchers (ISfAR).
- Advisory board member of The International Education Conference, Kotdwar, India.
- Presented a keynote lecture at the International Education Conference in India in 2020.
- Editor for the SAARMSTE Conference proceeding, 2019
- Part of faculty exchange programme Chandigarh university, Punjab India, 2021
I graduated 6 PhD students in the Science and Technology Discipline.
- Chedoise Blessing (2021). An Exploration of how Early Childhood Education Lecturers Train Pre-service teachers to use Technologies at a Nigerian University
- Sotsaka, Douglas (2020). Unmasking how pre-service engineering graphics and design teachers read and interpret assembly drawing at a university of technology: A case in UMgungundlovu Kwa Zulu Natal.
- Aladejebi D. Toyin (2020). An Exploration of the Intended, Enacted and Achieved Environmental Education Curriculum within the Social Studies Teacher Education Programme at a Nigerian University.
- Rurinda, Elias, (2019). An exploration of the use of Community Based Participatory Action Research to create an innovative platform for engaging A level Biology teachers’ in Biotechnology within the Biology curriculum in Zimbabwe.
- Gamira, Daniel (2019). An exploration of pre-service Geography teachers’ understanding and learning of Environmental Education at a University in Zimbabwe