Member: Community Engagement Committee
- BSc; BSc (Hons)-University of Natal;
- HED-University of South Africa;
- M Ed (Science Education)-University of Durban -Westville
- PhD (Curriculum and Instructional Design and Development)-University
- Teacher – High School; Teacher Education Colleges, Non-Governmental Organisations; Special Department of Education projects; Community projects, University.
- Cluster Leader -Science and Technology Education;
- Acting Head: Teaching and Learning Unit- College of Law and Management Studies;
- UKZN Co-Faculty Advisor: SIFE – ENACTUS (2010 – 2016);
- UKZN Evaluator: The Local Economic Development Training and Capacity Development programme (2012 – 2015);
- Supervisor and Examiner for Undergraduate Research and Service-Learning projects, Science Education and other fields – Honours, Masters and PhD. Reviewer – abstracts, proposals, papers, projects, journals, conferences, NRF, UTLO, IOSTE
- Many others…
- PhD focused on – How student teachers construct and use Phronesis to enhance their Professional Development.
- CHE Reviewer 2016 – Quality Enhancement Project;
- Initiator and Coordination of the first ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABLE ACTION AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE at UKZN, Edgewood campus – January 2017
- SUSTAINABILITY STARTS WITH TEACHERS – concerns the participation in Education for Sustainable Development teacher educator workshops for changing practice – Nominated to represent UKZN.
- Workshop – educators and government – Mozambique, Zambia, Ethiopia and South Africa – Report on Country Situation Analysis on Applying a Gender Lens in Science Education: Ethiopia, Mozambique, South Africa and Zambia (A policy maker’s guide on the application of a gender lens in policy making and the implementation on how Science is taught and learnt for improved success among boys and girls in Africa.
- Curriculum design and development – Biological Sciences modules, other fields, programmes and courses for community organisations, including Learner and Teacher Winter Schools and presentation and development of online undergraduate modules presented across Drake university and School of Education.
- Principal Researcher and also member in Research projects;
- Engaged with many community organisations with Service-Learning and other activities;
- Over 150 Service-Learning projects with undergraduate student teachers – biology focused, based in communities and Service-Learning is the mainline. others….check CV.
- 2015/2016 National Science and Technology Forum AWARD – Shortlisted as a winner – Research or Engineering Capacity Development;
- NRF Thuthuka Grant Awards (Researcher in Training and Women in Research)
- International Exchange – Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, April 2016.
- Faculty of Education Research award (2008)
- Merit Award for teaching, research and community service (2007);
- Teaching and Learning Grant Award (University Teaching and Learning Office) (2010) Science Academic Monitoring and Support Project for First year Natural Science, Physical Science and Biology students. R 51 240.00
- Citi Foundation – EMS Winter School (Funded – $55 000.00). Awarded in September 2013.
- Citi Foundation – Literacy Winter School (Funded – $55 000.00). Awarded in May 2014
- Paper -in –a- day Workshop for Undergraduate and post-graduate (Honours and Masters) students – July 2015 – R6000.00.
- Service-Learning Collaboration Workshop – UKZN and Drake University – September 2015 – R15 000.00
- Bringing teaching and learning back to basics with gamification, dance and yoga: Research and Service-Learning with a difference July 2016 – R31 000.00.
Research and Teaching Interests
- Fields of Community focused Service-Learning and Research; Multicultural Education and Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS); Professional Development of Science student teachers and teachers; Environmental Sustainable development and the integration of Science in the Foundation Phase of Schooling
- Saritha Beni – graduated, 2015
- Germany – Ansgar Gräntzdörffer – graduated – March 2016.
- Zimbabwe – Kudakwashe Kapofu – Graduated April 2017.
- Sophia Majara
- Waaiza Udhin
- Chris Ndlovu
- Zip Setorinimo
- Daniel Asilieniki – co-supervision
- Maxwell Opoku and Shahiem Patel – sole.
Community-based Learning Project
US Capstone Project
School for International Training IS Project
- KidZAid – NGO Aids orphans and vulnerable children and grannies Trustee; ELET Board member; Collaborations with 1000 Hills Community Helpers; Marriannhill Outreach; CASME; YoLab; SA Learns. Global Forum 4 Literacy; MAHLA Book Awards. ENACTUS/SIFE-UKZN CO-Faculty Advisor; Edgewood Environmental Forum; Uthekwane Conservancy; 67 Blankets for Nelson Mandela; Various placement sites that the Biological Science 420 students complete their Service-Learning.
- James, A. (2016) Academic Autoethnographies: Inside Teaching in Higher Education by Daisy Pillay, Inbanathan Naicker, and Kathleen Pithouse-Morgan (Editors). Rotterdam, Netherlands: Sense, 2016. 200 pp. ISBN: 978-94-6300-397-1 (paperback)
Chapters in Books
Conferences, Workshops and Seminars
Hosted Visiting Professors