|Phone||031 260 3657|
|Office Address||CF119 Wing 5 Main Tutorial Building|
- BA, B Ed, MA, PhD African Languages
- Teacher education, Student academic development, English and isiZulu education
- Member – Panel of Judges National Teacher Awards 2013
- Best Transformed Curricular 2012, SANTED 2012,
- Media and Education, Onomastics, Language Policy and pedagogy.
- Language pedagogy, Literature and Visual literacy.
- Currently supervising Honours and Masters students.
- Working with the University Language Planning and Development office on the UKZN terminology initiative.
- IsiZulu as conduit for accessing education: students becoming partners in knowledge discovery. (Co-publication with colleagues in the discipline; Alternation, 13: 273- 291 (2014)
- IsiZulu metaphor as a vehicle for terminology extension. (co- publication with colleagues in the discipline; Alternation, 13: 191-208 (2014)
- Co-wrote a Chapter titled “ Dealing with Linguistic Diversity in the classroom” in a handbook designed for teaching language diversity in Foundation phase classrooms. European Union Project: 2014.
Complete Research Record:
- Read and presented a paper at the L2 teachers’ forum – Cordtek conference at Natal College of Education (1996) titled “Applying OBE principles in the teaching of reading in a second language classroom.”
- Read and co-presented a paper at the Academic Development conference- University of the North (2001) titled “Articulating acceptable knowledge: The clash between academic and home literacies.
- The effects of early literacy on Academic achievement. A paper presented at the 5th Pan –African Reading for All Conference in Ghana (2007)
- “Do you all understand?” “Yes Ma’am”. A South African primary school addresses Language and Communication Barriers. The International Journal -Language, Society & Culture, 31: 98-104 (2010)
- Ukwethiwa kwamagama ezimoto ezingamatekisi ezihambela idolobha lasePhayindane nezindawo ezilakhele.” A chapter submitted for a book on “Ubuciko bokwethiwa kwamagama” (In Print).
- Ukusetshenziswa kwenjulalwazi yokwethiwa kwamagama njengesu lokufundisa imibhalo emabangeni aphezulu. A paper presented at the African Languages Colloquim in Durban (2015).
- Names of minibus taxis in Durban’s Inner West district. A journal article submitted for Nomina Africana (2016).