- Secondary Teaching Diploma – Eshowe College of Education: 1980
- Bachelor of Arts – University of Natal: 1988
- Bachelor of Education Honours – University of Natal : 1990
- Master of Education – University of Northern Iowa: 1993
- Doctor of Philosophy – University of Zululand: 2017
- IsiZulu language pedagogy
- Reading and literacy matters
- IsiZulu literature and Gender issues
- Language Pedagogy
- Language policy and African languages
- IsiZulu literature: traditional and modern
- Media and critical language awareness
- “Do you all understand?” “Yes Ma’am”. A South African primary school addresses Language and Communication Barriers. The International Journal -Language, Society & Culture, 31: 98-104 (2010).
- IsiZulu as conduit for accessing education: students becoming partners in knowledge discovery. (Co-publication with colleagues in the discipline; Alternation, 13: 273- 291 (2014).
- IsiZulu metaphor as a vehicle for terminology extension. (co- publication with colleagues in the discipline; Alternation, 13: 191-208 (2014).
- Co-wrote a Chapter titled “ Dealing with Linguistic Diversity in the classroom” in a handbook designed for teaching language diversity in Foundation phase classrooms. European Union Project: 2014.
- Beyond the policy rhetoric: IsiZulu in a Dual-medium Postgraduate Language Teacher programme. Studies of Tribes and tribals , 14 (2):138-147. (2016).
- The names of minibus taxis in Durban’s Inner West district and surrounding areas. Nomina Africana, 30 (2): 13 -30 (2017).
- Using photographs as memory prompt objects: Influencing pre–service language teachers to recognise reading as a driver for social change. Co- Publication. Educational Research for Social Change, 8 (1) 41-53. (2019).
Chapters in Books
- Member of the panel of Judges: South African Teachers’ National awards ((2012-2013)
- Board member The Mission Press, Durban South Africa. (2013 – present)
- Pastoral Care Commission Clermont Holiness Union Church
- Member of Usiba Writer’s Guild (2008- 2019).
- Member of the Panel of Judges: Azziz Hassim Literary awards.
- IsiZulu language pedagogy
- Visual Literacy
- IsiZulu Modern and traditional literature
- Critical awareness of Language in Media
- Mthembu Bawinile (2014). Izindlela ezilandelwa wothisha ukufundisa Isifundo Sokuqondisisa ebangeni lesi-9.
- Zulu Makhosazane (2014). Using Genre analysis as a strategy for teaching writing in grades 11 and 12 Home Language classes.
- Phetha Saneliso (2015). Ukusetshenziswa kwezinganekwane njengesu lokufundisa uLimi LwaseKhaya emabangeni aphakathi kwele-7-9.
- Mbatha Siphelele (2016). Ukusetshenziswa kwesiZulu njengoLimi lokufundisa izibalo eBangeni lokuQala.
- Nkabinde Snenhlanhla (2016). Ukufundiswa kweLitherasi emabangeni 2-3 ezikoleni ezimbili.
- Mdletshe Sindisiwe (2017). Ukulandelwa kwenqubomgomo yobuliminingi esikoleni samaBanga ayisisekelo: kugxilwe esikoleni esisodwa.
- Dlamini Yvonne (2018). Ukufundiswa kokufunda kuzwakale emabangeni ayisisekelo.
- Mkhize Sindisiwe (2018). Injwayezi kufunda yabafundi bamabanga aphakathi.
- Mzobe Thalente: Ukuvezwa kwabalingiswa ngokwezinguquko ezenzeke emuva kowe-1994 emibhalweni yobucikomazwi.
- Gune Mbongiseni (2020). Ulimi olucwasa ngokobulili: kugxilwe kumanoveli: Impi Yabomdabu isethunjini nethi Bengithi Lizokuna.