Dr Visvaranie Jairam
|Educational Psychology, Main Tutorial Building,CS 133.|
Child Sexual Abuse, Sexuality Education, Inclusive Education, Learning Difficulties, Behavioural Difficulties.
Psychological Assessments in Education, School Psycho-educational Support, Human Development and Learning, Perspectives on Human Nature, Introduction to Inclusive Education, Assessment and Educational Intervention, School Guidance, Education Studies, Life Orientation, Guidance and Counselling
Publications / Selected Publications
In process: “From theory to practice: Pre-service teachers’ knowledge of inclusive education activated within initial teacher education and its enactment in practice”: V. Jairam and M. Samuel
Chapters in Books
“I’m not trained as a counsellor, but I know I have to do something”: Basic counselling strategies for teachers. Teaching and HIV & AIDS. Claudia Mitchell and Kathleen Pithouse. Macmillan. 2009.
- Pro bono counselling to students.
- Talks to schools on learning difficulties and psychosocial issues.
- Enhancing well-being in schools and communities.
- 21 years experience as an Educator at both primary and secondary schools.
- 13 years experience as a lecturer at tertiary level:
- Undergraduate: Co-ordinating and teaching experience; Managing teaching programmes; Compiling course packs for modules.
- Honours: Co-ordinating and teaching experience; Managing teaching programmes; Compiling course packs for modules.
- Masters: Co-ordinating and teaching experience; Managing teaching programmes; Compiling course packs for modules; Co-ordinating research.
- Honours: Managing research programmes: Co-ordinating independent research projects.
- Co-ordinating the honours qualification at discipline level.
- Co-ordinating the discipline of educational psychology
Extensive research supervision at Honours, Masters and PhD levels.