- Bachelor of Arts (Univeristy of Zululand) 1993
- Honours Bachelor of Education (UNISA) 2008
- Master of Education (UKZN) 2013
- PhD (UKZN) 2021
- Early childhood mathematics
- An integrated learning approach in teaching mathematics
- Arts-based self-study methods
- Early Childhood Mathematics
- Numeracy in the Early Years
- Mathematics for Foundation Phase Methods
- Staff excellence awards: Grant – Issued by the College of Humanities: University of KwaZulu-Natal, 29 November 2019
Chapters in Books
- Kortjass, M., & Mkhize-Mthembu, N. (2023). Reflecting on teaching in the higher education context during the COVID-19 era: A collaborative self-study project. Educational Research for Social Change. (Forthcoming).
- Kortjass, M. (2019). Enriching teaching through artefacts: An early childhood mathematics teacher educator’s self-study project. Educational Research for Social Change, 8(2), 70-85.http://dx.doi.org/10.17159/2221-4070/2018/v8i1a5
- Kortjass, M. (2019). Reflective self-study for an integrated learning approach to early childhood mathematics teacher education. South African Journal of Childhood Education, 8(2), 1-11.https://doi.org/10.4102/sajce.v9i1.576
- Masinga, L. Myende, P., Marais, A., Singh-Pillay, A., Kortjass, M., Chirikure, T., & Mweli, P. (2016). “Hear our voices”: A collective arts-based self-study of early-career academics on our learning and growth in a research-intensive university. Educational Research for Social Change, 5(2),117-135.http://dx.doi.org/10.17159/2221-4070/2016/v5i2a8
- Kortjass, M. (2016). ‘I think I can teach’: The preparation of mathematics early childhood education teachers. Journal of Education Studies, 14(1), 1-19.
Chapters in Books
- I presented a webinar on peer coaching at the Unisa College of Education, titled ‘Sustaining and Maintaining Collegiality through Peer Coaching’, 11 August 2021.
- Panel member in Masters research proposal review committees
- I served as a representative for research in Early Childhood Development – National Curriculum Framework: Umalusi investigation
- I served as a member of the organising committee for the three day Colloquium on corporal punishment: “Corporal Punishment Conversations: Beyond Hopelessness and Helpessness”, held at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, School of Education (Edgewood Campus), 26-28 September 2018.
- I served as a member of the organising committee for the 2nd South African Research Association for Early Childhood Education (SARAECE) KZN Regional Conference: “Transforming Early Childhood Education for a better future” held at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, School of Education (Edgewood Campus), 10 November 2017.
- (2022), Foundation Phase teaching of reading in isiZulu Home Language, Oxford University Press.
undergraduate courses :
- Numeracy in the Early Years.
- Mathematics for Foundation Phase Methods.
- Makhoyane, B. 217031179 (2022). Supporting learners with dyslexia in primary schools during the COVID-19 pandemic. An exploration of teachers’ experiences.
- Mathenjwa, S. F. 218004991 (2022). Teaching autistic learners in primary schools: An exploration of adapting to online teaching during the Covid-19 Pandemic.
- Buthelezi, S. S. 217032349 (2021). Teaching of geometry in South African Primary schools.
- Majola, M. 217027323 (2021). Primary school learners’ academic performance in mathematics.
- Cebekhulu, S. N. 212517871 (2016). Final year trainee teachers’ knowledge of child sexual abuse.
- Majola, L. Z. 215076659 (2016). Final year trainee teachers’ knowledge of child sexual abuse.
- Sibiya, L. A. 961086000 (2016). Final year trainee teachers’ knowledge of child sexual abuse.