- B A, University of Durban-Westville, 1986
- B A (Hons), University of Durban-Westville, 1987
- HED (Postgrad), UNISA, 1989
- B Ed, UNISA, 1996
- M Ed, University of Natal, 2000
- PhD, University of KwaZulu-Natal, 2011
- As Senior Lecturer, I lecture to Honours students (Assessment in Education & Independent Research Project); B Ed (Education Studies 3: Curriculum) and supervise M Ed and PhD projects. As Academic Leader for Teaching and Learning (2016 – 2018) I provided academic leadership in Teaching and Learning. I have been lecturing at UKZN since 2003.
- The status of Philosophy of Education in Teacher education programmes in selected South African universities
The aim of this research is to establish the status of philosophy of education at selected education faculties in South Africa. The purpose of the research is to establish if current faculties of education are continuing to attract and graduate students with different philosophical assumptions about education. The findings may create an opportunity to set up collaboration among the various teacher education programmes in South Africa. I am the principal investigator, with Dr Mlamuli Nkosingphile Hlatshwayo (of UKZN) serving as co-investigator.
- Joint Research Project with Delhi University (India Religion, Yoga and Education in India and South Africa
The new religion policy 2003 in South Africa and practice of yoga 2014 in India and its application raises some interesting questions about how to think about religion and yoga education, and how to develop a critical yet empathetic approach to yoga and religious diversity. This reflection on how and why religion and yoga are supposed to be taught in schools and public life in general has turned our attention to the condition of religion and yoga today. We have been working with teachers, government officials, and research groups both locally and internationally to think about the study and teaching of religion and yoga in society in general, and in schools in particular. This research collaboration shares the experience and insight on thinking about religion and yoga and its place in society. We are particularly interested in how this project has developed terms and concepts that speak to the condition of society.
- Values Education
- Religion Education
- Yoga & Education
- Professional Studies
- Education Studies
- Understanding Research
- Discourses and Methodologies
- Assessment in Education
- Research Development Proposal.
- Philosophy of Education
- Assessment in Education
- Research in Education
- Alcina Kisten (2021) The effect of COVID-19 on the teaching of Life Science curriculum in South Africa.
- Malusi Mthiyane (2021) Online teaching experiences of teacher.
- Nonhlanhla Sibiya (2021) Factors contributing to poor performance of Grade 12 learner.
- Malerato Jafta (2022) Teachers’ perceptions of gifted and talented learners.
- Nqobile Mthembu (2022) The factors that influence the performance of Grade 12 Accounting learners.
- 2021, Religion, Yoga and Education
this research collaboration shares the experience and insight on thinking about religion and yoga and their place in society. A report entitled “International Joint Project on Religion, Yoga, and Education” was presented to the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) in March 2021.
- Priest’s Council of South African Hindu Maha Sabha (Chairman)
I chair this committee of Priests from different linguistic groups of the Hindu community. Among others, this committee is responsible for declaring religious and festival dates for the Hindu community in South Africa.
- Ethics Committee of the South African Hindu Maha Sabha
This committee is called upon from time to time to represent the Hindu view on abortion, same-sex marriage, organ donation/transplant and environmental issues.
- Radio and Television Presentations
The national broadcaster (SABC) has recognised me as a leading religious scholar I was commissioned in 2017 to offer insights into scriptures (Ramayana) to a national television audience on a weekly basis. I am invited regularly by Lotus FM (SABC) to offer insights into Hindu festivals. These are distinct examples of where my scholarship speaks exceptionally to UKZ-N’s community engagement policy. My work and scholarly insights have extensive reach through the medium of television and radio and it is frequent.
- Assessment in Education (Honours)
- ndependent Research Project (Honours)
- Education Studies (Curriculum)
- Education Studies (researching Education)
- Maharajh, L. R. (2022). From Religion to Spirituality: Lessons for Values Education, Journal of Religion in Africa, 51(1-2), 65-85. doi:https://doi.org/10.1163/15700666-12340201
- Maharajh, L R. & Chilli, B. English as an Alien Language: Teachers’ Experiences of the English Across the Curriculum Strategy in South Africa. Literacy Information and Computer Education Journal (LICEJ), Volume 12, Issue 2, 2021.
- Tewari, A and Maharajh, LR. (2021). Exploring Reflections of Lecturers on Ethics in the Accounting Curriculum: A Case Study of UKZN and UNIZULU, South Africa International Journal of Financial Research 12(4):65.
- Maharajh, LR. Exploring University Students’ Perceptions of Plagiarism: A Focus Group Study. International Journal for Innovation Education and Research ISSN 2411-2933 01 January 2021.
- Maharajh, LR. (2021) Exploring University Students’ Perceptions of Plagiarism: A Focus Group Study. International Journal for Innovation Education and Research ISSN 2411-2933 01 January 2021
- Maharajh, LR & Musekiwa LT. (2021) “Skill, drill, and kill”: Zimbabwean Teachers’ views on once-off summative assessment. International Journal for Innovation Education and Research ijier.net Vol:-9 No-02, 2021
- Naidoo T, Maharajh LR, Balakrishna Y (2018) Can Unhealthy Food Intake by School children be changed to Healthy Food Intake with an Effective Nutrition Education in the Life Orientation Curriculum. J Child Obes S2:008.
- Naidoo T, Maharajh LR and Balakrishna Y. (2018). Is the CAPS School Curriculum in Life Orientation Doing Justice in Educating South African Children on Overweight, Obesity and Under Nutrition? Journal of Obesity and Diabetes Volume 2 Issue 1 | PDF 106 | Pages 5
- Nhlapo, N. D., & Maharajh, L. R. (2017). Engaging Foreign Curriculum Experts in Curriculum Design: A case study of primary school curriculum change in Lesotho. University Journal of Educational Research, 5(5).
- Maharajh, L. R. (2017). South Africa-India Cultural Relations. Africa Quarterly, 1(1). 33-39