- BAEd; BEd; MEd; MA; PhD
- April 1, 2017-Associate Professor, University of KwaZulu-Natal
- 2004- March 2017-Senior Lecturer, University of the Free State
- 2010-2016-Assistant Dean, University of the Free State
- 2016 Prolific Researcher in the Faculty of Education Award
- 2014 & 2016 Vice-Rector’s Community-Engaged Research Award
Sustainable rural learning ecologies, community engagement in rural contexts
Educational Psychology and Inclusive Teaching
I have supervised sixteen masters and seven doctoral degree students to completion
- Hlalele D & Tsotetsi CT 2016. Promoting student teachers’ adaptive capabilities through community engagement. Perspectives in Education, 34(3): 29-42.
- Mukwada G, Le Roux A, Hlalele D & Lombaard C 2016. The Afromontane Research Unit in South Africa. Mountain Research Development, 36(3): 384-386.
- Hlalele D, Manicom D, Preece J & Tsotetsi CT 2015. Strategies and outcomes of involving students in community engagement: an adaptive leadership perspective. Journal of Higher Education in Africa, 13: 169-174.
- Hlalele D & Tsotetsi C 2015. Engaging the community in educational and social amelioration: lessons and prospects. Alternation Special Edition, 16: 141 – 165.
- Hlalele D & Brexa J 2015. Challenging the narrative of gender socialization: digital storytelling as an engaged methodology for the empowerment of girls and young women. Agenda, 29(3): 79-88.
- Shelile LI & Hlalele D 2014. Challenges of continuing professional teacher development in inclusive Lesotho schools. International Journal of Educational Sciences, 7(3): 673-686. (IBSS)
- Lehohla M & Hlalele D 2014. Perceptions of learners without observable disabilities about learning in an inclusive classroom. International Journal of Educational Sciences, 7(3): 687-700.
- Hlalele D & Twala C 2014. ‘My unparalleled experience’: Narratives of study-abroad program participants. The Anthropologist, 18(2): 647-655.
- Hlalele D 2014. Creating sustainable rural learning ecologies: Realities, lessons, and prospects. Journal of Human Ecology, 45(2): 101-110.
- Hlalele D 2015. Supporting teachers of refugee children. In Magano MD & Ramnarain U (eds). Including the excluded: educating the vulnerable for the 21st century. Cape Town: Pearson, pp. 218-232.
- 2017-2019: National Research Foundation Grant-Community Engagement Funding Instrument, Project title: Community engagement in rural contexts: a relational leadership strategy, Grant No: 104869, Principal Investigator, Amount: R1 697 896.00
- 2017-2018: National Research Foundation Grant-Community Engagement Funding Instrument, Project title: Sustainable urban-rural learning connections, Grant no: 104847, Co-investigator, Amount: R337 400.00
- 2015-2016: Afromontane Research Unit Grant- Project title: Navigating vulnerabilities, building resilience and creating sustainable futures for the people of the Afromontane, Principal Investigator, Amount: R38 000.00
- 2014-2016: National Research Foundation Grant- Competitive Support for Unrated Researchers (CSUR), Project title: Sustainable rural learning ecologies, Grant No: 87694, Principal Investigator, Amount: R468 200.00
- 2013-2014: National Research Foundation Grant- Community Engagement Funding Instrument (UKZN/UFS partnership), Project title: Adaptive leadership for community engagement and service learning, Grant No: 82616. Co-Investigator, Amount: R215 295.00
- 2016 Member: Research Team, Developing a Rural Education Framework, Department of Basic Education
- 2017 Member: Research Team, Developing National Standards for Inclusive Teaching, Department of Higher Education and Training and British Council