Dear Prospective BEd Honours Student who does not have a Degree
If you are interested in applying for the Bachelor of Education Honours Degree please note the criteria:
Applicants may be registered for the qualification of Honours in any faculty provided
that they have:
(i) completed a Bachelors degree regarded as appropriate by the Faculty concerned; or
(ii) been admitted to the status of that degree in terms of Rule GR7(a); or
(iii) attained a level of competence as defined in Rule GR7(b).
The faculty may prescribe further minimum criteria for admission to study.
If you do not satisfy the above criteria, have a four year diploma and an aggregate of 65%, you may apply for admission into the BEd Honours programme through rule GR7(b) which recognizes prior learning.
Step 1: Complete an application form: See the website for details www.ukzn.ac.za/Education or contact the appropriate administrator. Submit the completed form to the Post Graduate Office. Please ensure that your name and telephone number and email address is correct so that the appropriate administrator can, based on your application, inform you if you qualify for the competency test. Due date: 30 June 2011
Step 2: Write a competency test. Please note that you need to score 65% in this test. You cannot study for this test. It will comprise reading a few texts and writing a synthesis of what you have read. Date: Sat 16 July 2011 – 9:00-12:00 Venue: PMB and Edgewood
Step 3: Submit a Portfolio. Due date: 16 July 2011 - to be submitted at the venue in which you will write the competency test. The purpose of the portfolio is to allow you an opportunity to enhance your application by providing a motivation for why you want to study further and to showcase your prior personal and professional achievements. Completing the portfolio is also part of the standard GR7(b) criteria.
The portfolio, to be submitted in a A4 size file, must contain the following:
• Cover page with your full biographical details (name and surname, all your contact details at home and work, identification number)
• Certified full academic record
• A 1 page letter of motivation in which you elaborate on: why you want to do an honours degree/why you want to do an honours degree in a specific specialization)
• A CV containing information on the educational institutions you have attended, full employment history, major personal and professional achievements that you want to highlight as it relate to your application, any other material – publications, letters of recommendation and so forth – that you might think will enhance your application
1. Should steps 1, 2 and 3 as outlined above be completed successfully you will be assisted in completing a GR7b application form by a person from the specialization identified by you. Date: Sat 27 August 2011 Venue: PMB and Edgewood – 9:00-11:00.
2. You will be informed of the outcome of your application by the Post Graduate Office of the Faculty of Education by 30 November 2011
Edgewood: Ms Bongi Bhengu
Tel (031) 260 3436; firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (031) 260 7594
PMB: Ms Natasha Naidoo
Tel: (033) 260 6245;email@example.com
Fax: (033) 260 5900